Burials

Pages: 1 2Next >Last »

Burial Index for the Diocese of Gloucester.

By : Gloucestershire FHS

CD Version
Note – Now available by PDF Download (See Downloads)

Burial Index for the Diocese of Gloucester contains a transcription of the 306 parish and 49 non-conformist burial registers that are available in the Gloucestershire Archives.

This covers the area within the Diocese of Gloucester. It does not cover those parishes in the far south of the county which fall within the Diocese of Bristol.

The period covered is at least from 1813 to 1851, or from the time the register begins if later than 1813. In some cases, there are details of burials outside this period.

Product in stock

Price: £10.00

Loading Updating cart…

Burial Index for Wotton Cemerery, Horton Road, Gloucester

CD VERSION

WOTTON BURIAL GROUND, HORTON ROAD, GLOUCESTER

If you walk down Horton Road from the Barnwood Road direction on your left hand side there is a small burial ground which is now a nature reserve. The land was originally given to the Southgate Congregational church in 1770 by a John Beale who was High Sheriff of Gloucester in 1751. In 1848 they decided to use it as a cemetery.

There are two registers of burials and a cash book from 1860 onwards held at Gloucestershire Archives ref:- D6143/2/10, D6143/2/11 and D6026/6/42.

The Trustees of this burial ground were the Deacons of the Southgate Congregational Church. The first burial being a JANE SMART buried 24th March aged 17 of Barton Street, Gloucester whose cause of death is given as a cold. The first book which covers 1848 to 1914, as well as giving details of the deceased also gives the cause of death. During this period there were over 1400 burials.

There were requests for extending the burial ground in 1863 and an Inspector form the Home Secretary was sent to visit and to listen to representations. There were objections from the management of the Asylum which overlooked the burial ground stating that the burials were having a detrimental effect on the patients. The request for the extension was refused.

All inscriptions on headstones had to be approved by a committee and the original fees for graves up to 6 feet deep were:- burial in a common grave 7s/6d, Children under 10 5s, private graves 15s, brick graves £1/16s/6d and vaulted graves £3/13s (full details of fees are given in the registers).

Due to the large number of burials it was agreed in 1913 that new graves would be for relatives by blood or marriage of those already buried there.

The last entry is for the burial of ashes on 9th June 1983 of Miss Beatrice Wright of 10 St Michaels Square, Gloucester aged 89. The number of burials totalled over 1500.

These names have now been indexed and are available for searching on the GFHS computers at its new home in the Gloucestershire Archives Hub in Alvin Street, Gloucester.  So if you have not found your ancestor being buried in the Gloucester Cemeteries it may be worth looking here.

Thanks go to Liz Jack, Lorraine Jackson and my wife Janette for the work completed in compiling this index.

Andy Sysum

 

Product in stock

Price: £5.00

Loading Updating cart…

Burial Register for Coney Hill Cemetery, Vol. 1

By : Gloucestershire FHS

CD Version
Note – Now available by PDF Download (See Downloads)

Register of Burials In The Coney Hill Burial Ground in the City of Gloucester from the 10th May 1939 to 5th January 2015.

A History of the County of Gloucester Vol 4 states that in 1856 a cemetery of 13 acres was laid out at Tredworth but was not opened until 1857 when the old city churchyards ceased.

A second city cemetery at Coney Hill was laid out in 1934 but was not opened for burials until 1939 with the first interment taking place 10 May 1939. This cemetery is still used today.

A Crematorium was built in the grounds of the Coney Hill cemetery and the first cremation took place there on the 7 January 1953. Many ashes were then either scattered or interred in or on Graves in both cemeteries.

Product in stock

Price: £10.00

Loading Updating cart…

Burial Register for Tredworth Burial Ground, City of Gloucester, Vol. 1

By : Gloucestershire FHS

CD Version
Note – Now available by PDF Download (See Downloads)

Covers the Period of 1857 – 1901

A History of the County of Gloucester Vol 4 states that in 1856 a cemetery of 13 acres was laid out at Tredworth but was not opened until 1857 when the old city churchyards ceased. It was extended in 1875, 1901 and, lastly, in 1911 when it was extended to cover 35 acres.

A second city cemetery at Coney Hill was laid out in 1934 but was not opened for burials until 1939. This cemetery is still used today.

Product in stock

Price: £10.00

Loading Updating cart…

Burial Register for Tredworth Burial Ground, City of Gloucester, Vol 3

By : Gloucestershire FHS

Register of Burials in the Burial Ground of the City of Gloucester

(Tredworth Cemetery)

Covers the Period 19 May 1961 to 31 December 2013

This is the CD version. You can find the download version here.

Note

This part of the Index does not contain the residential  Address or any Stillbirths that may have been entered during this period to maintain confidentiality but these  are available from the Crematorium Office, Coney Hill Road, Gloucester GL4 4PA,.  They will look up the location of one Grave Number free of charge but for any extra searches, a charge is levied.

Additional DescriptionMore Details

A History of the County of Gloucester, Volume 4 states that in 1856 a cemetery of 13 acres was laid out at Tredworth but was not opened until 1857 when the old city churchyards ceased. It was extended in 1875, 1901 and, lastly, in 1911 when it was extended to cover 35 acres. A second city cemetery at Coney Hill was laid out in 1934 but was not opened for burials until 1939. This cemetery is still used today. The old cemetery at Tredworth still has occasional burials there in family plots. Transcription Notes All names and places have been entered as seen in the Burial Books. Where a discrepancy with the Birth, Marriage and Death Index has been found, this had been noted. NG = New Burial Ground. This refers to a new area of the Cemetery being used. Two Grave Numbers given together often relate to family plots adjacent to each other. Unconsecrated Ground – This relates to burials other than Church of England – ie Non-Conformist, Roman Catholic or those not baptised.

Product in stock

Price: £10.00

Loading Updating cart…

Burial Register for Tredworth Burial Ground, City of Gloucester, Vol. 2

By : Gloucestershire FHS

CD Version
Note – Now available by PDF Download (See Downloads)

Covers the period 1901 – 1961

A History of the County of Gloucester Vol 4 states that in 1856 a cemetery of 13 acres was laid out at Tredworth but was not opened until 1857 when the old city churchyards ceased. It was extended in 1875, 1901 and, lastly, in 1911 when it was extended to cover 35 acres.

A second city cemetery at Coney Hill was laid out in 1934 but was not opened for burials until 1939. This cemetery is still used today.

Product in stock

Price: £10.00

Loading Updating cart…

Cremation Register for Gloucester Crematorium Vol 1

Index of Cremations in Gloucester Crematorium from 7 January 1953 to 20 February 1975. Transcribed by Barbara Osborne and her team of society volunteers

CD Version
Note – Now available by PDF Download see See Downloads

A History of the County of Gloucester Vol 4 states that in 1856 a cemetery of 13 acres was laid out at Tredworth but was not opened until 1857 when the old city churchyards ceased.

A second city cemetery at Coney Hill was laid out in 1934 but was not opened for burials until 1939 with the first interment taking place 10 May 1939. This cemetery is still used today.

A Crematorium was built in the grounds of the Coney Hill cemetery and the first cremation took place there on the 7 January 1953. Many ashes were then either scattered or interred in or on Graves in both cemeteries.

Product in stock

Price: £10.00

Loading Updating cart…

Cremation Register for Gloucester Crematorium, Vol. 2

A Further 21,000 entries following on from Vol 1

Index of Cremations in Gloucester Crematorium from 21 February 1975 to 11th August 1987.

CD Version
Now available by PDF Download See Downloads

A History of the County of Gloucester Vol 4 states that in 1856 a cemetery of 13 acres was laid out at Tredworth but was not opened until 1857 when the old city churchyards ceased.

A second city cemetery at Coney Hill was laid out in 1934 but was not opened for burials until 1939 with the first interment taking place 10 May 1939. This cemetery is still used today.

A Crematorium was built in the grounds of the Coney Hill cemetery and the first cremation took place there on the 7 January 1953. Many ashes were then either scattered or interred in or on Graves in both cemeteries.

Transcribed by Barbara Osborne and her team of society volunteers

Product in stock

Price: £10.00

Loading Updating cart…

Monumental Inscriptions for Removed Headstones CD

CD VERSION

Between 1976 and 1987, some 5,500 headstones were removed from the Old Cemetery Tredworth Road, Gloucester.

This Index lists those inscriptions and the 15,000 names associated with them.

Note – Now available by PDF Download (See here)

Product in stock

Price: £10.00

Loading Updating cart…

Monumental Inscriptions for St. Andrew’s, Miserden. (Includes photographs)

 

Survey of Memorials in St Andrew’s Church and Churchyard, Miserden.

Introduction.

This database of Memorials is based mainly on their physical inspection and photographic recording over the 12 month period between July 2014 and July 2015. However, it does also refer to four other documents.

1. A hand-written set of indexes of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials at Miserden from 1574 to 1974 which is currently held by the church. I understand that this was probably prepared by a church-warden who extracted the information from the Parish registers. They are remarkable documents, neatly written and organised by date and surname – not a simple task before computerisation. Where relevant I have given the burial date from this index as well as the date of death from the gravestone. They don’t always tally and researchers should always check the original Parish registers to minimise any transcription errors.

2. The “Record of Church furnishings” for St Andrew’s Church prepared 1995-97 by The National Association of Decorative and Fine Arts Societies (NADFAS). This provides enormous detail of the Memorials inside the church, including the stained glass windows. A few of the older inscriptions are in Latin and, in most of these cases, an English translation is contained in the NADFAS report.

3. Ralph Bigland’s “Historical, Monumental, and Genealogical Collections relative to the County of Gloucester”. This was first published at the end of the eighteenth century but was reissued in the 1990s by Bristol & Gloucestershire Archaeological Society. Three pages of this relate to the Miserden inscriptions and they, in theory, list the gravestones existing in the churchyard c1790, but it appears far from comprehensive: there are many current gravestones which pre-date 1790 but which are not listed by Bigland. However there are many listed in his book which no longer exist and, for the sake of completeness, I have included all these in this database. For copyright reasons, in these cases, I have only used the name and year of death (supplemented by the burial date from the register index) and researchers will need to refer to Bigland to see what, if any, further information is available.

Tim Randles. June 2016

A download version is available but please note photographs (approx. 360) of Memorial Inscriptions where available are only on the CD version, Not the download version (due to Web Site upload constraints).

Product in stock

Price: £10.00

Loading Updating cart…
Pages: 1 2Next >Last »