About the Author
Peter Kenneth Griffin (1943-2020) lived for almost his whole life in King’s Stanley. Peter was educated at King’s Stanley Primary School and at Marling School in Stroud. He read History at Wadham College Oxford and entered the teaching profession in the mid-1960’s. In the early 1970’s he joined the History Department at Katherine Lady Berkeley’s School in Wotton-under-Edge, where he remained until the late 1990’s.
After retirement, Peter was awarded an MPhil from the University of Gloucestershire for his work transcribing with detailed footnotes the 1850’s diary of railway engineer Charles Richardson. A Keen local historian, Peter was a member of the Stroud Local History Society, and the Stroud Museum Association, the Museum in the Park, the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society and the Cotswold Postcard Collectors’ Club.
However, ever since he was a teenager, Peter’s main interest was the History of King’s Stanley, the village his family has lived in for over 400 years. This book is the result of decades of meticulous research.