St Lawrence C of E Church is situated in the heart of Barnwood, about two miles east of Gloucester, and the project to transcribe the headstones in the churchyard has just been completed.
The information is available in CD format (£10 + £1.28 P&P) and also as a download (£8). The CD includes photos of the headstones/graves. You can purchase either from our shop.
Over 1,000 graves are detailed, and the churchyard is the resting place for a number of interesting individuals from in and around Barnwood and Gloucester. It is also the resting place for a large number of residents of Barnwood House Hospital, the private mental institution which once occupied a large area of Barnwood, part of which is now occupied by the nearby Barnwood arboretum.
The Church itself dates back to Norman times, and is a grade II* listed building. The churchyard also contains three grade II listed structures. Just north of the tower, and near the main entrance to the church, are two table tombs, which date from the late 17th/early 18th century. And in the east section of the churchyard can be found the headstone for Elizabeth Baylis. Elizabeth, wife of Thomas, died in 1635. This headstone is constructed of sandstone and was listed in 2014.